Saturday, March 24, 2007

Estonian Stockings

I made myself Estonian stockings. The pattern is the optimized version of Nancy Bush's "Folk knitting in Estonia". Material used is an Estonian lambswool (colored yarn is at elast 10-15 years old). I think they are cool. And never mind that one of the stockings seems smaller than the other it's just bad photographing not knitting skills.
I made the stockings a) longer b) more shaped c) followed only the lace and colored pattern part. Then got tired of reading and made the heel and tip like my mom teached me when I was beginning to knit my first socks years ago.

The books is surely great inspiration and I gotta buy some more natural white wool from Estonia for I already drew up 3 pairs of socks I wanna make for nexy Christmas.
I must say that the best sock yarn is Shetland type, like Estonian wool for many reasons... it might not be the softest one and it makes you itchy if your skin is tender, but, hey, use a pair of light cotton socks under.
Reasons:
1) it's very very resistant
2) it goes only softer with every wash (only handwash, with natural detersive if possible)
3) it stays in form
4) it's warm when it's cold and doesn't make your feet sweat even if it's warm outside (of course I don't recommend wearing them with 25+ C)

Yarn: Estonian lambswool, 100% pure wool, quantity: 106 grams for pair of long socks.
Needles: 2 mm
PAttern: Modified "Rita's Stockings"

5 comments:

Alice Twain said...

Ma sono bellissime!

Ing. said...

grazie! sono contentissima anch'io!

Anonymous said...

Me le ricordo ... sono quelle che stavi cercando di finire allo S'n'B a Milano! Belle!
Io sto quasi finendo il mio primo calzino ... mi manca solo la punta :o)
A presto

Anonymous said...

Bellissime, Ing! Complimenti!!! ho anch'io il libro. Ora però sto facendo le Highland Schottische Kilt Hose dal libro Folk socks di Nancy Bush, che ti consiglio. le puoi vedere finite in diversi blog: http://myblog.de/stricky (purtroppo solo in tedesco)http://mustaavillaa.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html (finlandese e inglese). Tanti saluti da Amburgo
Elisabetta

Lillysmuul said...

These do look cool!
Tore et eesti mustrid nii kuulsad on laias maailmas!!!